Reading Strategy for Families: Echo Reading
Developed by Dr. Janet Mort, Joyful Literacy Interventions
Click here to download a .pdf version.
Sample e-books to practice with:
Literacy Place e-books (K-3):
These e-books have the option to read-along with highlighted sentences, read on your own, or use them to ‘Echo Read’ with children. Here are the steps to access books at various primary grade levels:
Grade 1 suggestion:
Grade 2 suggestion:
Grade 3 suggestion:
- K-3: Many of the Literacy Place e-books come with a comprehensive teaching plan for early literacy development. Here are some of the features:
The e-book page in the Books section of this website has lots of links to free-online books and stories. Here are a few of our favourites and more that have been made available specially for kids this spring:
“Indigenous Storybooks Canada is designed specifically for children, families, community members, and educators. Based on the open-licensed stories from the Little Cree Books
collection, it makes the text, images, and audio of the stories available Indigenous Languages
, English, and French as well as the most widely spoken immigrant and refugee languages of Canada. The Indigenous Storybook also has stories in Halqemeylem, Haida and Spanish. Share and enjoy!”
– Free audio stories
(Video and Audio, read by American actors)
“This engaging and colourfully illustrated collection of digital picture books for students will have many uses in the classroom and at home. Students can practice reading and listening skills, ELL students will develop their vocabulary, and parents will be able to encourage their children to practice reading. Many of the titles have been translated into French, and over 30 languages are featured as voice narrations.” (ERAC Review)
(K-6 children’s ebooks)
- username: tumble735
(K-6 math ebooks)
- username: tumble2020
- password: A3b5c6
- Bookflix (K-3) is a curated database that pairs fiction and non-fiction books, and a great tool for reading aloud with your child. The resource reinforces reading skills while introducing children to a world of knowledge and exploration.
- Literacy Place Shared E-Reading (K-3) is a compilation of digital books with reading prompts and audio for children to follow along with. Teaching plans also included.
- TrueFlix (Gr.3-5) helps children strengthen literacy skills, build science and social studies knowledge, and cultivate 21st-century skills. Watch, read, and learn cool facts about people, science, and history.
- ScienceFlix (Gr.4-9) offers teachers and parents hands-on projects, activities, videos, and more to help kids learn about science.
- Scholastic Learn at Home (Early Learning – Grade 9, American)
The site supports students with approximately three hours of learning opportunities per day, including projects, articles and stories, virtual field trips, reading and geography challenges, and more. These daily learning opportunities were carefully curated by our editors to reduce the burden on teachers and families needing to create meaningful learning experiences.
The Scholastic Learn at Home website does not require a username or password and is open freely to all, on any device. They are designed to limit the need for printing and allow students to learn independently or with their families.
‘Choose Kind’ all year long….
Watch how Pete fills buckets when he makes a new friend! (Borrow more Pete the Cat books at your school library!)
How to Fill Your Bucket: For Kids by Tom Rath and Mary Reckmeyer