Offline Literacy Activities:
Joyful Literacy Family Literacy Activities:
(developed by Dr. Janet Mort)
Kindergarten Families: Check out our post for creative family activities developed by MPSD’s StrongStart Team
Here are some additional ideas: (inspired by Ann George as part of the Joyful Literacy initiative developed by Dr. Janet Mort)
- Play “I Spy”. (I spy with my little eye a letter that is in your name or I spy with my little eye the letter “c” on the cereal box or I spy with my little eye something that makes the “ssss” sound from the letter “s”.
- Using objects found in nature (sticks, leaves, rocks etc.), write your name, some words, a message or poem and take a picture.
- Make up a letter dance and some music to go with it.
- Search for letters older newspapers/magazines and circle the letters.
- Look for the letters of the alphabet in around the house or in nature. Take pictures of them to create your name.
- Make a list of 26 things in your house, one for each letter of the alphabet – a/apple, b/book, c/cat etc.
- Collect little things that you see throughout your house. Try to collect one thing for every letter of the alphabet (e.g. A – ant, B – beach glass, K – kite string, Y – yellow dandelion).
Online Literacy Games :
- Halq’eméylem for Kids (First Voices Website)
English Alphabet Games:
English Sight Words:
English Letter Games:
English Sounds, Rhyming:
English Alphabet and Phonics:
http://www.starfall.com/ (free limited use of site, paid member = full use of site)