Here are some great books and activities about families.
The Family Book and colouring page:
Click on the photos below to open the printable version:
Dipnetting with Dad (look for this book in your school library!)
The Making of Dipnetting with Dad:
What Makes a Family? Watch and listen to the song and try the activities from Wonderopolis below.
Read/listen to a Wonder-of-the-day: “What Makes a Family?” Try some of the family activities (and look at a very cute photo of a meerkat family).
SUMMER READING CLUBS
“Imagine the possibilities! Dream and discover endless possibilities all summer when you join FVRL’s 2019 Summer Reading Club. There is a club for everyone!
- Read To Me (0 to Preschool) Share stories, record reading, collect stickers, win prizes and get a medal.
- Kids (grades K to 6) Collect a reading record, enter prize draws, come to fun shows and earn a medal. Just read every day!
- Teens (grades 7 to 12) Read. Record. Repeat. It begins when you pick up an SRC reading record. Includes chances to win fantastic prizes.
- Adults Take home a reading record and mark your reading to enter prize draws. The more you read, the more chances to win.
How do I join? Sign up starts June 21 and continues throughout the summer. Visit your favourite FVRL location to join.
How does it work? You and your family members can pick up a reading record at your local library! Record every day that you read for fifteen minutes or more! You can read at home, in the library, on a beach, anywhere! Once you have recorded seven days of reading, come back to the library for stickers and prizes!
Programs and Events
It wouldn’t be Summer Reading Club without a great lineup of events throughout the summer. We have storytellers, puppet shows, parties, awards ceremonies and more! Check out our spectacular guest performers at a library near you.
- The Great Gordini: Join the Great Gordini for a show filled with magic tricks, wacky fun, and a lot of opportunities to participate.
- Karima Essa: Experience the magic and joy of dance and storytelling as Karima Essa performs Bollywood dance.
- Tiffany Stone: Join poet Tiffany Stone for poems and rhymes about flaming flamingos, baaaad animals and rainbow colored clothes.
- The Well Worn Trail: Discover fascinating facts about Canadian animals and their habitats. Storytellers Rob and Lillian use puppetry, songs and story to kindle the wonder of nature.
Visit our Events page for a full list of SRC 2019 Events!
Accessible Summer Reading Club
Find accessible Summer Reading Club titles through NNELS. FVRL also has ebook and audiobook formats to better serve customers with perceptual disabilities. Ask library staff for more information.
The possibilities you explore this summer are limited only by your imagination when you join 2019 Summer Reading Club!” (Source: FVRL, 2019)
It’s spring and a time of plant growth and development. What’s growing around your school or in your school garden?
Here’s some inspiration – look for these books in your school library:
Winner of First Nation Communities Read:
(Books below are recommended by Adrienne Gear)
Visit the Environmental Learning page on Curriculum Connections for a wealth of planting resources, shared by Dewdney Elementary School.