It’s spring and a time of plant growth and development. What’s growing around your home or neighborhood?
Here are some stories, games and activities for some inspiration:
- Tumblebooks: (username = tumble735, password=books)
After traveling the world in her fantastic teapot, Rose is ready to put down roots. She sets about planting flower seeds in a neglected corner of a bustling city. And then she waits – through rain and cold and snow. Rose waits, never doubting that the garden she envisions will one day come to be.
Rose’s Garden: Sentence Game (match the sentence with the picture from the story)
Creative ideas: Make your own paper flowers or take photos of real ones as they grow!
2. Bookflix pairs fiction picture books with information books.
Follow the steps below to find some of these gardening titles:
- Go to http://scholastic.ca/education/free_digital_resources/
- Choose Bookflix and then go to the Animals and Nature section
- Type the word garden into the search bar.
Here are a couple of the book pairings that you could read/watch:
- K-6: Visit the Environmental Learning page on Curriculum Connections for a wealth of planting resources, shared by Dewdney Elementary School.